Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review Stones and Finger Bones by Jessica Minyard (book 1)

Aurelia Barone, Jewel of Starry Stone, harbors no illusions about the purpose of her life as heir to the throne. But after two failed betrothals, she starts to feel like nothing more than a pawn being moved aimlessly about a game board.

Until the night she loses everything.

Kidnapped by a wise-cracking mercenary with more than one identity, Aurelia embarks on a mission across land and sea to avenge her father’s death.

But an evil is rising from the ashes of memory. Insidious magic is stirring. The dregs of a once-powerful nation are thirsty for blood and revenge.
They seek to harness Aurelia. To tempt her. To manipulate her. And if necessary, to destroy her.

Add to Goodreads

My Review & Thoughts
Cover: I hate to say it but I am not a fan of this cover.  I think this book is deserving more of  an attracting cover. It does not give justice to what this book entails,
 Romance: No instant love here! It is developed throughout the story not a main focal point. 
Genre(s): Young Adult, Teens, Fantasy 

"They are an elite killing force hand-selected by the king..."

One of the great things of being able to be part of a book tour is finding out about hidden gems and sharing it with readers! This book is one of them that I really enjoyed reading.

Stones and Finger Bones was a refreshing young adult story thrown into a historical feel setting mixed in with magic, lies, and corruption. The pace was well kept and the details were hard to ignore to not keep reading. The first half of the book, it's still building a plot and the battle to come.

It is told in multiple characters to include said villain of the story. It is different when I get to read a true villain that has no redemption point of view. There's many characters in this story, each one has a string to change the outcome of what's to come and that's what made this book intriguing. Just didn't know who was good and bad or what intentions were!
 Rycen, the leading man, I fell for him! From the minute he kidnaps the princess, (yes kidnap) he had my attention (crazy-much maybe).
"His was the world of the dark..."

The author did an amazing job creating the world, vivid details to each way she wanted it to be read as. The setting of the book was old style with the 'King', horses, wenches...catch the drift. The names were all very different of each character, can tell this book was well thought out. It is a promising series of more twist and deceit in the characters and I definitely would like to know what the author has in mind in the next book!

"Salindiri were magic-users and made up the noble classes under Haigen,"

Cliffhanger Warning! 
Recommended Read 


"She hurled the water-skin at Rycen's head, but he caught it deftly. She would have stormed off if she had the energy, "You filthy, snake-sucking bastard."
He seemed momentarily startled by the vehemence in her voice, or possibly, her choice of words, "I am sorry that we had to go through that. It would of have been easier if you had come quietly." 





[Share to Pinterest]

7 comments:

  1. Great review, Pandora! This sounds like a fun read and I like how well developed the whole world seems, too! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Giselle! The author did an amazing job world building and it all flowed so well! :)

      Delete
  2. wow! this book looks amazing~ really love the quotes in the review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karin! Definitely worth the read! :)

      Delete
  3. It's nice when you discover books like that! I didn't know about it but the story and the world sound really well done! I confess that I'm curious now. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love discovering new books that I think if I wasn't a blogger I wouldn't have found these treasures! ;)

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way: Every time I love a certain book that has a so-so cover, I'm always like, nooooo, because I fear people will drive by it if they, as I do too, judge a book by their cover. :// So I'm glad I read this review. Will add!!

    ReplyDelete