Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Review The Girl at Midnight (book 1) by Melissa Grey

For readers of Cassandra Clare's City of Bones and Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone, The Girl at Midnight is the story of a modern girl caught in an ancient war.

Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.

Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.

But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.

Add to Goodreads



My Review & Thoughts:

Cover: Eye catching! The dragon and bird facing off is great representative of the story
Genre(s): Young Adult, Fantasy, Teens 
Romance: It was cute but the chemistry could have been built more to have 'loving' feelings. 
"According to the prophecies, the firebird will bring about the end of this war with the Drakharin..."

Echo is a skilled thief. She is taken in by the Ala of Avicen but is never fully accepted as one of them. In another realm, Caius is the Dragon prince and is searching for the Firebird to stop the longed feud between them and the Avicen. Back in New York, Echo is running through 'the in-between' to the realms of unknown and countries from afar. Stealing a trinket of sorts from a warlock, Echo starts the journey of a new Firebird trail to follow. She is sent on a chase to fine the clues that were left behind. Bumping into allies of the unexpected, Echo and Caius must find the Firebird before it is to late. The wicked sister, Tanith and her army of feared dragon firedrakes are hot on her tail. 

The vibrant colors of this cover is beautifully amazing! Girl at Midnight was a unique fantasy with interesting characters from a dragon and feather race arch enemies. Both ultimately looking for the Firebird that can either end the war or become power. 

The worlds of the Dragons and Avicen were mildly described and not ventured into as much as I would have liked, especially with such unique creatures for characters. Only if it was more vividly described of the surroundings and a bit of history of the 'ancient war' would have made the connection to the book flow. It was very quick on the reason for their feud and not much after that.

"The Avicen began this blood feud. I'm going to end it. Their greed for power stole ours." 

Echo was a likable character who kept the books pace entertaining. She was funny, sneaky, snarky, and quick as a superhero... 
"If you need me to steal something, I will steal the crap out of it . You know that." 

Triangle warning! We have two battling for Echo's affection. Rowan is the Avicen, childhood best friend turned boyfriend and Warhawk warrior. Cauis, the enemy of the Avicen finds the human to be intriguing living among their kind. 
"Come back to me," Rowan mumbled against her knuckles..."

Villains, villains, everywhere in The Girl at Midnight! Tanith is Cauis crazed power hunger sister who breaths fire! She's vicious and knows how to demand attention. Tanith needed more of a spotlight in this book! 
"A Bloody Tanith was a happy Tanith."

The next villain, Ruby! The vulture with pale eyes, fairest skin, and happens to be digging Rowan! 

"Ruby drew a wickedly long sword, and the sound Echo made was embarrassingly close to a whimper."


The confusion and 'meh' parts of the story.
-I didn't get the possible m/m relationship that was filled with hidden agenda and if they were into each other or not. This little duo took a good amount away from the actual story and didn't even get to a conclusion or solution to understand what's going on. Actually I'm not sure at all of one of the suitors stance in the 'relationship'.
-The book is told in multiple characters views. I found this to be confusing since I don't think they played a vital part into book one. Maybe they might be essential in book two but for now I don't think they added any 'umph'. 
-The ending...Rose... That's all I will say. 

Overall, I do like this book! The creativity of a feathered race that represents different preys from a vicious vulture to a pretty dove was different from many fantasy creatures. I loved the realm jumping and Echos feisty klepto self! The Girl at Midnight has much room to improve and indulge in to the realms of the Dragon and Avicen. I myself am curious on where the author will go in the next book. 
Cliffhanger

Recommended Read 

Ivy plucked at the straw beneath her knees, "I want to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Not even a little bit. Not at all." 
Echo's laugh was tired but genuine. "Yeah, yeah. Now shut up so I can figure out how to get us out of here. That handsy guard stole my tools." Grabbing the bars of her cell, she shouted, "AND YOUR AMENITIES LEAVE SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED." With a huff she settled back against the wall, crossing her arms and kicking her legs out in front of her. 




Received book from NetGalley for a honest review. 
[Share to Pinterest]

8 comments:

  1. Despite some little points, it sounds like a great book there! I don't think I knew about it but now I'm quite curious about the world. And Dragons? That's so great! Thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melliane! The release I believe is in the next month! The Dragons also were a twist not the typical, overall a unique story ;)

      Delete
  2. This one only recently got on my radar and i've been dying to read it ever since. I'm so happy you enjoyed it Pandora! I'll make sure to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily! Yes I actually by passed it the first time around not thinking it would be my type but it was actually pretty good and kept a fast, fun pace! :)

      Delete
  3. I LOOOVEE the cover of this one, I have a copy of this so I cannot wait to read this one soon :) It does sound pretty unique overall, fantastic review.
    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the purple just beautiful and vibrant, makes such a difference! Thank you Benish :)

      Delete
  4. I loved this book! But I agree that the world-building could have been more detailed and the M/M couple focused on it in more dept because their relationship for one another kinda felt shallow and superficial even. It just went too fast but, *shrugs*, I just love M/M romance so it didn't bother me that much. Thought they were cute in general. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lola, I just didn't get the M/M and I couldn't agree more than what you mentioned, it felt forced relationship! Other than that I think the concept was different and look forward to the next book! :) Thank you for visiting!

      Delete