Sunday, January 11, 2015

Review Tainted Engergy by Lynn Vroman



For seventeen-year-old Lena, living in the trailer park with the rest of town's throwaways isn't exactly paradise. Dealing with a drunken father who can't keep his fists to himself doesn't help matters either. The only good thing in her life, other than track, is the mysterious man who visits her dreams, promising to find her. When a chair burns her arms, Lena chalks it up to stress-induced crazy. Yet as bizarre incidents escalate, even being crazy can't explain it all away... until one day dream guy does find her. Tarek lost Lena seventeen years ago after she was accused of treason and marked Tainted. He finally discovers her reborn on Earth into a life of suffering as punishment for her crime. However, someone else has already found her... and wants her dead. Willing to sacrifice everything, he fights to keep her safe so she can live the only life she's ever known-even if that life doesn't include him.



My Review & Thoughts 
5/5
Cover: Doesn't do justice for this fantasy world the author created! 
Genre(s): Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Teen (16+), Young Adult, Romance
Tags: Kick-ass female, magic, realms, creatures, abuse 
Romance: New swoon worthy hero 
*I will be adding favorite quotes throughout the review! 

Warning: Some material may be disturbing for some readers with context of abuse

Another fantastic read that had my hands twitching to grab my ipad! 

Before I start the review, I read in many others that their dislike was not being able to understand the new world of fantasy the author created. Must admit, this book should have probably taken me a few hours but it turned into dayS because I wanted to make sure I grasped the concept. Annd I did a lot of highlighting with many favorite quotes! The excerpt I included below is a brief explanation of what this book is based on. The blurb description is spot on for the story line. 

Lena lives in the dumps with an abusive father who beats on both her and her mother. 
There's no place like home…There's no place like…Oh, wait, there is. Rusted palaces just like mine usually found on Cops…Bad boys, bad boys…shut up, brain.
She's a nobody at school, has a total of three friends if you count her boss Jake and the lunch lady Wilma plus Zander who only applied.  
Hey, self, remind me again why Zander held the bestie slot? Oh, right. He was the only one who applied for the position.
Her only hope is to win a scholarship through her grades and track record to help her mom and self escape BUT life, known as the Synods, have another plan for her. Weird things are happening to Lena. She's had on curring dreams of her imaginary 'boyfriend', whispers, creatures sucking her into another world...
Pretty shitty thing to do, pretend boyfriend…
A new world is unraveling before her eyes. People who she trusted are not who they seem to be and her imaginary 'boyfriend' maybe her years of life cycle soul mate!


The author definitely creates a unique story and realm of fantasy of the not so typical creatures.
"You're energy readers, damn it. Your kind takes energy and moves it to where it needs to go, where it deserves to go. Tarek and I...we're Protectors, the ones who get you where you need to be, protect your kind when you do stupid stuff."
I felt a twinge of supremacy. "So, we're angels." "Oh, you like that idea, don't you?" She resumed her most comfortable stance: arms across chest. "You're nothing like angels because angels don't exist. Nobody's that pure."
Twinge gone, but it had me thinking of something else. "Not even God?" "They love it when people call them gods, trust me." "Who?" Wow, she hated answering questions. "The Energy Wardens." "Energy Wardens?" "It's like I'm talking to an infant." After another impressive huff, she continued, "The beings in each realm who hold the released energy until Guides can transport it." She scoffed. "Your so-called Gods."

I think that was the easiest way to explain the roles and premise of the story. Wilma is Lena's protector who was sent to earth as a punishment to her crime which made her tainted energy hence the name. While on earth, Lena is getting messed around with by unknown protectors. Wilma and Tarek come to the conclusion (with a bug of persuasion) that someone is out to kill Lena and steal her energy for good. 



Loved about this Book 
WHEW! I think I explained it well enough to intrigue readers?! On to why I LOVED this book. As in many of my reviews, I love kick-ass females with a little sass! Lena is that plus some with a smart ass mouth but fragile at heart. Of course because of her home situation, it toughened her exterior. 
My happy dance kind of…happened. Odd looks and dance critiques did nothing to slow my awkward hip gyrating.
Tarek!  Amazing hero! The author wrote him as a loving, funny, but Deadly, over six feet pure Man!
Tarek bolted up to the sound of bees. A blanket decided to wage war with his feet when he tried to get up to shut the window. The blanket won.


Trying for delicacy, his big hands tugged on the paper. Unfortunately, his fingers weren't all that delicate.
He was swoon worthy many times.
"Yeah, you always loved that particular feature." Not as much as he loved her, though. The peace this place always gave him settled in his heart when she picked a bright red flower and tucked it behind her ear. 
As you can tell with many of the quotes, I LOVED the authors style in writing. She did an amazing job with each character bringing them to life. The snappy, wise ass at times, remarks were my favorite. She not only wrote one kick-ass female but two, Wilma, Lena's protector. The world the author created is not like any other fantasy worlds I have read. She has much room to change and adjust the world in future books in this up and coming series. 

If the reader is satisfied with this book, I guess it can be read as a standalone. The author does tie the ends and leaves one open for potential in which she is writing a second book I can't wait to read! 
Wilma shrugged. "Always liked a good war, keeps the blood pumping."
Highly Recommended Read! 




Excerpt: 
After a while, his deep voice interrupted nature's free concert. "Energy, what drives us, what...is us, never dies. Our forms die, but our energy...it goes on. Just like the trees, the animals, it's all energy and it gets recycled." "Wilma said something like that." "Did she tell you there are levels of energy, different kinds?" He kept his voice neutral. "She said I was some sort of...energy Guide?" "Right, but there is energy that is human, energy that is animal, plant…" He shrugged his shoulders. "You understand, right?" Sure, why not, it was so easy. "I...I think so." I shifted so his concentration had to switch from my hand to my face. "What's so important about mine?" "Your energy, my energy, is strong, powerful in its raw form." "So, why does he want me? There has to be millions of people like me for him to terrorize." His jaw clenched and his lips pursed again, but his hand continued to massage mine. "Our kind isn't easy to find. Guides are shielded by their Protector," he pointed to himself, "ah…like me, when active. And if we chose to end our service on Exemplar," he paused, "or are forced to end our services, wherever our energy chooses or is forced to go, the abilities are not gone, just completely forgotten. But if someone found you and told him…Well, you're an easy target now."



[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment