Friday, January 9, 2015

Review Sunset Rising by S.M. McEachern

Sunset Rising By S.M. McEachern
February 2024: Desperate to find refuge from the nuclear storm, a group of civilians discover a secret government bio-dome. Greeted by a hail of bullets and told to turn back, the frantic refugees stand their ground and are grudgingly permitted entry. But the price of admission is high.

283 years later… 

Sunny O'Donnell is a seventeen-year-old slave who has never seen the sun. She was born in the Pit, a subterranean extension of the bio-dome. Though life had never been easy, lately it had become a nightmare. Her mom was killed in the annual Cull, and her dad thought it was a good time to give up on life. Reyes Crowe, her long-time boyfriend, was pressuring her to get married, even though it would mean abandoning her father.

She didn't think things could get any worse until she was forced upstairs to the Dome to be a servant-girl at a bachelor party. That's where she met Leisel Holt, the president's daughter, and her fiancé, Jack Kenner.

Now Sunny is wanted for treason. If they catch her, she'll be executed. She thought Leisel's betrayal was the end. But it was just the beginning



My Review & Thoughts 
4/5
Cover: Love! It is a beautiful comparison to the actual story and Sunny (Once you get to the part it will all make sense)
Genre(s): Post-apocalyptic, young adult, teen (16+)
Romance: Building but has its swooning moments 


The blurb sounds amazing, right? Right! The book is exactly how the blurb is described it to be, a plus plus!
“I guess you have to born in the Pit to find light where there isn’t any.”
Sunny knows of only the pit, where she was born into because of her ancestor bind them to a contract. They work for the Dome residence and are bound to many rules and life span deadline, literally. Sunny finds herself in trouble when she is tricked by the President's daughter, Leisel. She is now on the run, with the help of a higher ranking Kenner's family member, Jack. Both trying to figure out how to get off the radar and what would be their next best move, to rebel or try to live in disguise but how long will that last till their turned in?

The author writes a very vivid describing the life of the Pit within the first couple of chapters. I was lost into the world she created.
Ever since we first arrived in the Pit, we mined their coal, processed their sewage, cleaned the Dome, and did anything else they tasked us with. In exchange, they gave us credits, which we used to pay for our housing and basic needs. Without enough credits, we ended up homeless. And homeless people disappeared after the lights went out. The credit system was just another way the bourge ensured that every person in the Pit remained useful. Freeloaders were not tolerated.

Then it hit a bumpy ride. I can't stand Leisel and I blame her for almost putting the book down. I read on and the book turned a 180. I enjoyed the story the author did create, it was different and had many unexpected turns and twist to it. A few points I didn't agree on but I don't think it takes away from the story I'm sure many will come to enjoy as well.

What I liked about this book:
-The new post-apocalyptic twist 
-Jack! He is very dull at first and you actually might want to inflict bodily harm but he does a 360
“Yeah, it matters. Look at the size of that guy, and I just married his girlfriend!”
“Do you believe in fate, Sunny?” he asked after a while. “I don’t know. I never really thought about it. Why?” I was relieved that he didn’t sound mad. “I was brought up to believe that my main purpose in life was to get rid of our dictator and restore equality and freedom back to the people. My mother was convinced that the best chance we had was through my marriage. And here I am married to you… the girl who just found a way to raise an army.” 

- At times Sunset was redeemable and held it together
“History? You went to a military academy to learn to fight like a ninja, but history was your favourite subject?”


What I didn't agree with:
Sunset has red hair. It beautiful and gets her in MUCH trouble. The RED hair! how many times did I have to read her hair was red and apparently the only one out of hundreds in the pit with RED hair!


If it was such a problem, she should have hacked her long luscious red hair.Its not like she'll be in runway anytime soon. What I don't get is when Sunny is on the run she decides to use the same coal tactic to color her hair dark. hmm... Shaking my head. that's the first thing people do on the run, cut their hair or change it for identity, but a bright ol sunny decided to use the same trick of coal dyeing. WHY!!
=
There were many times I was like what wait... how, does that even make sense?! If a new world is going to be created, it has to go all the way to avoid those open holes. This book is over 400 pages long, I do think the author could have wrote and still kept her story with the goods  in 300 pages or less. There's much repetition that I found myself skipping over when Sunny retold everything that happened oO I don't know five times?!

I thought to myself, hmm maybe this is a new genre or book for the Author. I go to the authors bio, well what do I find, it's her debut novel! And with those minor errors, that is why I still give this book a 4/5 and a recommended read. The author still has an amazing imagination to deliver a new post-apocalyptic story. And being her first book, her writing is only going to improve further into the series. A series which I plan to continue.

Warning-Cliffhanger! 
Recommended Read

Goodreads


Mini Excerpt
I found the rope and gave it a good tug to make sure it was secure. “Here. Use this to rappel down. I’ll go first and guide you along as best I can.” I scrambled over the side and began my descent. “Wait! Aren’t you going to use the rope too?” He sounded terrified. “I don’t need it. I’ve been doing this since I was five. And besides, I don’t think that old rope is going to hold two of us.” I climbed down about ten feet and waited for him to start. I heard him double- checking the rope. “Come on,” I said. “I can’t even see!” He finally lowered himself over the side. Hanging onto the rope, he tentatively lowered one foot. I descended another ten feet and looked up. Jack hadn’t made any progress. “Jack, you’re taking too long. Trust the rope.” “You mean this old rope? Easy for you to say. You don’t even need it. I can’t see anything. How can you do this?!” “Just lean out away from the rock, hang onto the rope, and start walking backwards. You have the rope— you don’t need to find footholds.” I heard him take a deep breath and watched him lean out. He lowered one foot, then the other, and again. “Hey, I’m doing it!” he said excitedly.
[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment