Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review Darkness of Light by Stacey Marie Brown


Freak. Witch. Crazy. Schizo.

Ember Brycin has been called them all. She’s always known she’s different. No one has ever called her normal, even under the best circumstances. Bizarre and inexplicable things continually happen to her, and having two different colored eyes, strange hair, and an unusual tattoo only contributes to the gossip about her.

When the latest school explosion lands her in a facility for troubled teens, she meets Eli Dragen, who’s hot as hell and darkly mysterious. Their connection is full of passion, danger, and secrets. Secrets that will not only change her life, but what and who she is—leading her down a path she never imagined possible.

Between Light and Dark, Ember finds a world where truth and knowledge are power and no one can be trusted. But her survival depends on finding out the truth about herself. In her pursuit, she is forced between love and destiny and good and evil, even when the differences between them aren’t always clear. At worst, she will incite a war that could destroy both worlds. At best, she will not only lose her heart but her life and everyone she loves. Once the truth is out, however, there will be no going back. And she’ll definitely wish she could. (p 298)

Goodreads 
Amazon

**At this time (1/22/15) this book is FREE***

My Review & Thoughts 
3/5
Cover: Beautiful Cover! An attention grabber! 
Genre(s): New Adult, Paranormal Romance (16+)

Let me start off with the beautiful cover! It defiantly entices the readers to want to know more. The blurb peeked my interest, a chic two tone eyes, lost, becoming of powers, new world. Yes! I would like to know more. Then came the cliche, Eli (complete d*ck), and the clueless Ember.



Ember is accused of the unnatural causes of her previous school and is sent to a high-school for the troubled. There she meets Eli, more unnatural causes happen. She thinks she's loosing it.

I do like the authors style of writing being comical and the snarky comments by Ember. Some readers may not like or understand her sense of humor and can come off offensive at times. Even after the cliche of high school drama, mean girls, the loner etc. I was still looking forward to Ember's story and her role to her new abilities.
Here comes Eli! The mysterious, biker, just got of jail wrapped up in a jerk that needs to be throat punched!
*spoiler- After he chokes out Ember I was done with Eli and Ember's obsession over his 'bad' vibe.
It was like someone punched my gut. My anger flared quickly to the surface. “Excuse me?” “I don’t think I stuttered.” Eli returned my glare. “I said nothing happened between us, and nothing ever will.”
It went on for quite a while with the bickering of these two that it got to the point of annoyance. PLUS him being a total tool didn't help.
Middle of the book to the end took a fall! I think author lost sight in her character Ember. There's another man in the picture but I really don't remember him other than when he gives warnings. The plot was slow, it also lost focus to Eli's obsession.
I still recommend the book to readers because many of these things are of preference of a reader and it seems to have many fans, maybe it just wasn't for me. Someone may like the guy who ignores, denies, and treats like crap O_O with no explanation till the end of the book somewhere. I do like my male leads 'bad-ass' as well but I think there's a fine line from the two. Maybe Ember and Eli redeem themselves in the next book in the series!

Complimentary copy was given for a honest review
Let's see if the next few quotes remind readers of another story... The minute I was reading this scene another love triangle popped in my mind with another careless female lead.
He had already become a part of me, of my life, and I wanted to be wherever he was. Oh, man, I am so in trouble.
My eyes flicked up to the name of the bar. A small sign blinked, “Mike’s Bar.” It was the place where Eli hung out. Was he in there now? I had no doubt the place was dangerous. It seemed to be drenched in soulless, black shadows, and Eli was a part of it. “Why don’t you come over here? Promise I won’t bite...yet,” the guy flirted. There was a slight southern twang in his voice. I couldn’t seem to help myself. I walked across the road to the sleazy bar. It had this strange pull. Maybe it was the slim, slim chance of seeing Eli, but I knew nothing would stop me from going in, no matter the consequences. That’s when I truly understood my feelings for Eli went beyond infatuation. He had already become a part of me, of my life, and I wanted to be wherever he was. Oh, man, I am so in trouble. “So, sweetheart, you gonna let me buy you a drink?” The man looked me up and down, his light brown eyes gleaming under the blinking neon lights. The power behind them was daunting. His neck was lined with scars, which I was sure had come from a knife fight of some sort. I had no doubt he had seen his fair share of them. The leer in his eyes made me nervous, but I couldn’t seem to walk away. He was a lot younger than I first thought. He was certainly good-looking, but he was a terrifying kind of trouble—bad news all around. Exactly the way I seemed to like them lately. “Sure,” I responded as my brain screamed, No! A crass smile crept across his lips as he winked. “Thought so.” He strutted into the bar, stopping to let me go before him. A very gentlemanly move in such a crass place. Inside was what I pictured a disreputable dive would look like. It was dark and dilapidated with a couple of pool tables in the back, a dartboard on the side, and an old TV flickering in the corner. A heavyset man with a stern face and balding head stood behind the bar wiping glasses. A smoky haze told me they didn’t give a shit about the no-smoking law. The clientele didn’t appear to be fans of any kind of law. A couple of guys in back looked to be part of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang, which should have me walking straight out the door. But I seemed to be on a reckless mission tonight. The rest of the people in the bar were really dodgy characters, ones who had nothing more to lose. It was not a place for a girl to go unless she was as shady and tough as the guys there. No doubt I stood out like a beacon, asking for trouble. Knowing the risk still didn’t make me run for the door. Something kept me in the bar keeping company with a strange man. Was it because I was attracted to danger, or was it because something about this guy reminded me of Eli? I didn’t know, but I couldn’t seem to leave and didn’t want to. This guy made me feel like I could forget all my pain. I was putting myself in a very, very dangerous position, but a part of me liked it. What the hell is wrong with me? “What’s your poison, darlin’?” The guy’s eyes ran over my body again. “Tequila,” I responded.

[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment