Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review Anyone? by Angela Scott

The end of the world? That’s the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters and deep philosophical exercises in school. No need to sweat it. So when sixteen-year-old Tess’s doomsday-dad builds a bomb shelter in their suburban backyard, everyone thinks he’s gone crazy….

…Until fire rains down from the sky, sinking whole cities into colossal craters and setting much of the world ablaze.

Tess’s dad gives her a few short minutes to gather her emergency bag and her freaked-out kitten, then leads her outside and into the underground shelter. Terrified, the last thing she expects is for him to leave her there all alone, but he has no choice—he must find her missing brother.

Before leaving, he makes Tess promise to keep the hatch door shut, not to open it for anyone but him, and to stay put until he returns.

But he forgot to tell her one thing: What is she supposed to do if he never comes back?


Goodreads
Amazon

My Review & Thoughts
3.5-4/5
Cover: It gives the idea of what the book is about. The door reminds me more of a horror book than apocalyptic. 
Genre(s): Apocalyptic, Young Adult, Teens 
Romance: Not feeling the vibes

This book started off strong for me. It was exciting, new, Tess was comical, and then it went on...and on... 
birthday—a gift I remembered being quite pissed about. I’d wanted an American Girl Doll and was given a gun instead.
The blurb sounds action packed right?! No, that's only the first few chapters and the last 18% of the book. We follow little old Tess venturing off into the destroyed world looking for her father. While breaking into Rite Aid, she meets Cole! The LONG journey begins with these two back and forth. A lot of talking between the two, no action, no running scared scenes. Maybe if their romance was sparked or they were running away it would have picked the pace up. 

Cole! He had much patience dealing with Tess. 
“That’s not nice.” I removed my hand from his arm. “Maybe, but it’s true. I’m doing just fine on my own, and adding a kid and her ‘cat on a string’ doesn’t seem like the best move for me.”
After all, she was only 17 and Cole according to his calculations and what he shared about the 80s, he's somewhere in mid 20 ish. I guess being the only ones out there, can't really be picky! Cole was the comical relief of the story. He made it as entertaining as her can.
He stood and pointed to me. “You’re cute and I’m magnificent, I get that, but even in an apocalyptic situation you can’t let your hormones get the best of you. That would be wrong.” 
Yes in deed. Is there 'anyone' out there to save ME before I strangle Tess! 


Wake up Tessy! YOU are a lone survivor in the end of the world stuffing your face, excited about a pair of name brand boots, and determined to get your father that left a 'sorry' note! Warning, She is one to get on nerves real quick.

I do like the Authors writing. It was very descriptive in the beginning. I loved the whole idea of the bunker and the apocalyptic. But not much if any action. I don't know if the author was going for more romance building or surviving apocalypse story line.

Cliff hanger in the end. Cole is left in a mystery and I honestly don't know who or what he is. The author leaves many opened questions in end.
Recommended Read











[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment