Friday, December 12, 2014

Review Inner Fire by R.L. Stedman


Blurb
‘Maybe it would be better if I started at the beginning.’ Gran watched me carefully. ‘This ability we have; my mother, me. You. We draw heat along our bodies; anger makes us flame.’

When her friend is assaulted, Corinne Peterson can’t help reacting. But she didn’t think and now her hands are burnt, Gran is coming to look after her and, scariest of all, strange men are watching her house. Could they be terrorists? Secret agents?

It seems that Gran’s idea of a solution is to introduce Corinne to Rowan. Okay, sure, maybe eighteen year old Rowan is gorgeous – but he has his own troubles. And right now, Corinne doesn’t need complications in her life.

But in a world of surveillance and secrecy, complexity is inevitable. And as the tension mounts Corinne realizes - maybe Gran can help her, after all.


My Review and Thoughts 
3/5
Cover: Fitting
Genre(s) fantasy, romance, young adult

Corrine has a 'genetic problem' as she calls it but her Gran refers to it as  a 'gift'. She goes through an episode where her gift goes out of control catching the eye of 'bad people'. Gran takes Corrine to her home for safety and while she's there she meets Rowan. 

Ahh...the book was promising the first few chapters and I looked forward to what was to come! BUT then insta-love came and made it's ugly presence! Corrine just met Rowan and within a few chapters all they do is kiss "HARD" AND he gets access to the next base in two dates! Mind you, these are teenagers. Don't get me wrong I love romance but built on romance. When Rowan was introduced, I almost thought he had a special power or maybe he was going to be a villain but no...he was pretty useless! -_-

Inner Fire had a good storyline to go off of. It did get muddy in the middle and had me wondering where's the plot or point of the story. It almost skipped over fantasy and turned into a romance book. I wish the author explained more of the 'villains' in this story, I think it was to brief and just put in there to close it. The 'gift' that Corrine has and Gran can make an epic story if it was concentrated more on them than the love interest. 

I do like the authors sense of humor and style in writing. I thought some of scenes were comical and down to earth. I would try another book written by this author. 

When I was little I used to do a standing jump into bed to avoid the under-bed monsters eating my feet. To my two-year-old self, darkness equaled monsters. I got the same feeling now: darkness, monsters. Except I wasn’t two any longer, and the monsters wore human faces. I’d seen them that morning at Paddington Station.



[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment