Friday, November 21, 2014

Review: Covert 'Chicago Angels Novel' by G.K. Moore



Alessandro is the unwilling heir of a Chicago crime family. Intent on leaving the life set out for him, he decides to run as fast and as far away as possible. His plans crumble when one girl crash lands in his life. He should hate the daughter of his father’s mistress, but it’s near impossible when he finds that they are alike in more ways than one.

Olivia grew up watching men walk in and out of her mother’s life. When one man finally decides to stay, she learns that crime lords don’t leave until someone’s dead. Olivia’s salvation comes from the person she least expects: his son.
 
Six years later, Olivia and Alessandro are reunited when her life is threatened. If time has proven one thing, it’s that repeating their parents’ mistakes seems inevitable.


In a world where friendship is a luxury and love a death sentence, two unlikely lovers find each other only to be separated by their cruel reality.

My Review & thoughts:
Warning: mature context! Love triangle, well not as bad as others but still a triangle.
Complimentary ARC was given by Author for a honest review.

4/5 rating
Cover: Delicious!
Genre(s): New Adult, Romance
Tags: Mafia, Alpha Male, Action, Romance, quick pace

Livi just murdered a man and has only one person she can turn to, Alessandro (Alex) to help clean up the mess and get to the bottom of who's behind it all. What Livi aka LuLu and/or Olivia does not expect are the returning feelings (six years later) of Alex.
Alex started a new life, one he didn't want. He is now the Boss of the lead crime family. Already in a relationship, he brings Lulu back into his life.
Lots of history between the two, many secrets start to unfold.

If you're a fan of Pepper Winters 'Monster in the Dark' Series you will definitely be a fan of 'Covert'. Debut Author G.K. Moore leaves no disappointment in this Mafia told story.

This book starts off great! It pulled me in immediately with all the action and opening of characters.. Then it sank...real fast. I started scribbling angry words and notes for the review.
  • Insta-love?! NO 
  • Silly Heroine! 
  • Didn't she just want to get OFF the bed?! Now throw me on the bed?!  Haaa! 

BUT WAIT
Keep reading...Miss G.K Moore just did things a bit different. O_O She started the book in the present. (Scratching out previous notes) The characters already have history that we don't know of yet and that's why it can be a WT... Throughout the book the history of Olivia and Alex unfold from past to present. It's a beautiful story not to be missed.

Oh Olivia... Not the typical heroine I would be cheering for or count her as a fave. She does have history for her actions and she's slightly redeemable by the end of the book.
What bothered me was that despite what happened in the past, I still ran right back to him without hesitation, seeking his protection, his affection even. There I was sitting on his lap, as if the last six years hadn’t happened.

NOW
The reasoning of the book! What will keep me coming back for more, the devil-lush Alex, Mr Alessandro!
“You shouldn’t worry about that,” I whispered near his ear. His sobs subsided and his breathing steadied. “Because long before that happens, I will break every one of your pathetic bones… I will skin you alive… slowly, piece by slow piece and feed you to sewer rats. When I’m done with you, you’ll god-damn wish you were dead.”

The storyline and plot is not revealed till 70% into the book. It is worth the read! The author builds her characters up, sets them in place, and BAM now we know...

What I LOVED about 'Covert'
  • Alex...Alex.. And some more ALEX!
  • Tiny is an awesome additional character! I see his own book in the future... Hint hint G.k. Moore
  • The storyline, I can't wait to see it unfold! 

Cliffhanger! The book can't conclude in an any better time. Right when everything is coming undone, more secrets added...and CUT. The Author picked the perfect timing to stop and have the readers, like myself gearing up to stalk lookout for the next book in 'Chicago Angels' novels.

PS. Steamy scenes may have you reading the book in a hidden corner ;)

Amazon link to purchase
Covert 'Chicago Angels' Amazon

Goodreads
Covert Goodreads

Mini Excerpt, Alessandro:
After six years, all I cared about was getting out of the arrangement that was slowly suffocating all of us. In the beginning, after Lulu was gone, I had tried telling myself that at least I’d be working with the good guys. Now, I knew better. I knew there were no good or bad guys. The lines between good and bad had gotten so blurred, that it became impossible to tell on which side I was. I didn’t believe in the greater good or good causes. I only believed in one thing. Protecting Lulu. Getting her away from this life. Saving her. “I will find her,” Tate said firmly. “Okay,” I said combing my hair back with my hands. “Okay, you’re right, this is our way out. When this is done we’ll be able to leave this life behind.” “Your way out,” Tiny said, I looked at him puzzled and he sighed. “I believe in what we’re doing here, Alex, and I understand that you need to get out for Lulu, but I need to finish this. I need to bring them all down, for good.”  We stared at each other for a while. Six years working together, a lifetime of being like brothers, and I had no idea. I thought he hated this life as much as I did. But I had to respect him for his choice. I nodded once. “Find her, and I’ll do my part,” I said putting a fake smirk on my face and turning to walk back into the bar, to the men that held the bargaining chip for my freedom.

[Share to Pinterest]

No comments:

Post a Comment